Wednesday, March 21, 2007

We Made the Call

I haven't been sleeping that well for the last couple of weeks. I don't know why, its not like I have a lot on my mind or anything. However, this morning, it served me well. I got up this morning and called the Ukraine Adoption Authority to confirm our appointment date that is now just three weeks away from tomorrow (Thursday). Needless to say, I am not that experienced in making international telephone calls. It took me a while to figure out what was going on, especially at 4 in the morning. After I figured it out, I finally got through at about 5:45 am. The conversation lasted less than a minute. I gave the lady on the other end of the phone our registration number and our date and she said OK. I asked her if that meant that we were confirmed and she said yes. And that was it. She didn't ask my name and I didn't think to ask her if she knew what time the appointment was. It was all kind of like a weird dream.
We are expecting to get our airline tickets in the mail any day now. They were a little bit more expensive than we expected but they are very flexible which I believe will be worth it when we are trying to make our return home. Our flight leaves at 2:30 on Tuesday 10 April so we will probably try to get to the airport before 1 on that day. We don't get to Kyiv until 4:35 PM the next day. They are currently 6 hours ahead of us but I don't know if they will be changing time soon or if they even change time. For the return trip, there are some days where we can leave Kyiv and get back home all in the same day. There are other days where we would have to overnight either in Amsterdam or another American city. Folks that we know overnighted in Amsterdam and were unable to get into the hotel that is in the airport (the child is a Ukrainian citizen and needs a visa to leave the airport so you are pretty much stuck there). They speak of being miserable overnighting in the airport. We don't want that.
Stacey and I both got to go to church together for what seemed like the first time in a long time this past weekend. Somebody had been sick or something the last couple of weeks and it just seemed like it had been a long time. The worship team did a new song that is now my favorite song. It seemed like the words were speaking directly to me. I liked it so much that I e-mailed church to find out the name and the artist and downloaded it off the internet. It is "You are God" by Charlie Hall and the only place I could find it was on Passion 07 Live Part 1. The words go like this: You are closer than our troubles, more present than any danger, more grand than gold or silver, You are God. You're the joy of man's desire, You are Father, satisfier. We are stunned with wide-eye wonder, You are God. You fill our hearts with love and faith, You fight for us, You make us brave, You are God. You walk with us, You lead us on. Faith, hope, and love wakes up with dawn, You are God. Life flows from God.
Several people have mentioned to us that they are thinking about us and praying for us. We really do appreciate it. We need it. Our kids need it. The child or children that will be joining our family needs it. Thank you for praying for us. Our God is awesome.

1 comment:

Karen, John Michael, and Lance said...

My wife and I are right there with you. Our date is April 19th! Its awesome to see how many others are adopting from Ukraine! Glad to know that there are other Christians that will be right there walking the same path. Good luck with the process. The right child(ren) will certainly find you.