Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Healthy Children


Well, the hard part is over, we think. Actually, the hard part didn't seem that hard at all. I am sure that if you ask Coy about it, it definitely was not pleasant but we were expecting much worse. The surgeon was able to close his palatte in one surgery. During the pre-op visit, he had warned us that it might require a second surgery since his opening was so wide. I looked in his mouth tonight for the first time and it was amazing. Except for the stitches, it looks like a normal mouth. It is truly amazing. Coy has been amazing too. Other than some minor irritability when his pain medicine runs out, he has been quite the trooper. Since coming home, he has felt well enough to go outside and swing and ride on his big wheel. I figure that any child that is strong enough to survive in an orphanage in Eastern Europe for 2.5 years is more than strong enough to endure minor surgery in the US healthcare system. Also, spending any amount of time at all in a hospital helps me to appreciate our healthy children and how fortunate we are to have such healthy children. Some of it can be attributed to how well Stacey took care of herself both before and while she was pregnant, but the overwhelming majority of it belongs to the grace of God. I don't see how folks with children that are seriously ill can handle the hospital life. I guess if it comes down to that or else, you do whatever you have to do to help your child in any way that you can and you really don't think about anything else. I am ashamed for the times that I have taken our kids health for granted.
Thanks for all of the prayers for Coy. Katie and Caleb prayed for Coy while he was having his surgery and when I called my mom to tell her that the doctor was able to close his mouth with only one surgery, Katie immediately cheered and said, "My prayer has been heard." She is quoting a Bible verse that she learned in CBS "Do not be afraid, your prayer has been heard." She said that she had prayed for Coy to only need one surgery for his pallete, and her prayer (and lots of other prayers) were heard. What a joy it was to tell Katie that the Creator of the Universe heard her prayer and to be able to let her know that he listens to her. Of course, we have to remind her that his answer isn't always yes, but He does hear her, and He does answer her according to His will. It was good for her to be able to see that in a tangible way. Some naysayers may claim that Coy's surgery would have been the same regardless of Katie's prayer to God. I would say bologne. God chose to answer her prayer and I am glad that He did. And I am glad that He hears me tonight when I thank Him for our healthy children, all three of them.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

God is so good. All the time.

shawn said...

"Therefore, whoever humbles himself like a child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." Praise God for Katie's faithfulness to believe that the Lord answers prayers. Praise the Lord for her wonderful parents and CBS teachers that have taught her God's Word and It's many promises. So glad to hear that Coy is doing well. God is SOOO amazing! Love and Prayers,
shawn neal