Saturday, November 10, 2007

Here is a Neat Painting


As a general rule, we don't let the kids play around in our bedroom. Every once in a while, they may get to watch our TV while one of us is in the shower or something, but our room is pretty much off limits. For some reason, just the other day, we were back in our room and Katie found this painting. I was astonished at how much it resembled Katie. She held it up in front of her and Caleb's comment was that he didn't think it looked much like her, the hair was too light of a color. I then began to explain to them that that picture was probably painted about 30 years ago. Stacey's grandma on her mother's side was very artistic, among other positive qualities. She painted and sketched and wrote poetry and many other things. This is a painting that she did of Stacey when she was probably Katie's age or perhaps a little younger. I had always been impressed by her grandma's abilities before but now I am impressed even more. I don't know what she may have been thinking when she painted her granddaughter that day or several days or however long it took her but she ended up painting a picture of her great granddaughter as well. It is kind of ironic because Katie is named after her. Her name was Cathryn with a C and went by the nickname Kitty whereas Katie is Kathryn with a K and goes by Katie. Katie is definitely the artist in our family. Not just drawing, but the unique and original personality that is associated with artists best describes Katie. She can be kind and gentle and sweet too. We also have a poem that hangs on our wall that my mom cross-stiched for us as a gift for us when Katie was born. The poem was about Stacey as a baby. Another one of her poems hangs in a shadow box that Stacey and I have. It is entitled "Thoughts for Tomorrow - Today". I have no idea when she wrote it but I would like to share some of her thoughts because they still apply.
"America, my country proud,
Your virtues we will sing aloud
Of sea and sky, vast country wide
You truly are the pilgrims' pride.
So let us deem it dutiful
To keep America beautiful
America, my country best,
Two hundred years you've stood the test
And better can be on the way,
If we will all just start today.
For in this land where man is free,
It's up to you and you , and me."
You are right on with the poem Kitty, and good job on the painting too. You were an amazing woman but I didn't realize how amazing you were until just the other day.

No comments: