Tuesday, November 20, 2007

How About This For a Bunch of Turkeys??

Happy Thanksgiving. This video is typical of a night at our house. I caught Coy singing this song in the van on our way to church on Sunday morning. Just out of the blue came, "God made me, God made me, in my Bible book it says that God made me." I was able to make it out pretty easily even though I did not prompt him to say it, which is a big improvement alone. It must have been in his head because he was still singing it this night. The lighting is bad but it is the best that I can do.

I know this is a time for us to be thankful, this being the season of Thanksgiving and all but I was reading another lady's blog other day of a couple that adopted older children from Ukraine and she made a very interesting point that I don't know that I have ever considered. Or if I did, I don't know that I had ever pondered on it very much. She said that even though these children are being provided homes, and families, and love, and everything else a child needs to thrive, they are still grieving what they have lost. We expect these children to just be so greatful for all that they have gained, and I am sure that many of them eventually are, but initially, they could very well be upset over what they have lost. They lost their friends, what they knew as home, their culture, their familiar surroundings. Stacey and I were just discussing the other day how well Coy has adapted to his new situation. He really seems to roll with new situations and surroundings really well. He is easily made content and is never demanding. If there is anybody that should be thankful this year, it is Stacey and me, not Coy. We have 3 wonderful, healthy, children. We have lots of family and friends that have always supported us. We have been to Ukraine and back and lived to tell about it. We have lots of answered prayers to tell about and we have a Father in heaven that loves us very much. Now who could come up with anything more to be thankful for than that??

This was Katie's idea for how to make a turkey out of her brother. Actually, she made a turkey out of herself first but then she did it to Coy. Coy had on the "turkey feathers" before I could get the camera out.

If you look real closely in this picture, you will see a Wii remote in Katie's hand. We went out and bought a Wii the other day and have had lots of fun playing it since. It is hard to limit ourselves in how much we play but we have to or else the kids and I would play it all of the time.

We also have bought a new clothes dryer in the last week or so. Our other dryer was making a lot of weird noises so I decided to "take a look at it" by taking off the back of the dryer. It seemed like a good idea at first but it didn't take me long to realize that trying to take the back off of a dryer was not a good idea. We eventually decided to go and buy a new one because this one had already been repaired once and we felt like the cost of a new one would be about the same as the cost of a repairman and any repair that might need to be made.

No comments: